Sunday, September 14, 2008

Updates, updates!

Ok, so I know I'm not really good about the updates. I will try and work on that! Apparently I haven't been on here since July, I guess I have a good excuse but anyway, here I am! And in good health! My second PET scan (which I didn't have as scheduled because I ended up in the hospital with pnuemonia but I finally had it last week) came back "perfect" - according to Dr. Nichols. So I still have "no evidence of disease". So, here is a list of what we've been up to and all the cancer business for the last few months:

July 25th - Was still really anemic (that one has been hitting really hard with the chemo) so had my 4th Blood transfussion.

July 27th - Celebrated my 36th B-day (can you believe I'm that old?) They put 36 candles on my cake, it was classic, 6 of the candles were long ones and they were melting and causing a huge fire on the cake. It was hilarious!

July 30th - Started my last round of chemo (consists of 3 days in a row and then one day a week later, then a week off, plus oral meds for two weeks)- By the way, no more pills for me, now! I am pill free!! And very happy about it, as you can tell!

August 1st - Jake went to a two day youth conference that he had a blast at and then High Adventure for scouts the week after. (Josh had scout camp in July and earned four badges.)

August 6th - My last day of chemo and FINALLY got my PICC line out (if I haven't explained it before, it was a line that stayed in my arm for 4 months that went from my arm directly to my heart, then they didn't have to poke me everytime to draw blood or administer the chemo, etc.) I took a very long shower! (I was sponge bathing for months!) I even had fantastic smelling soap and a scrubby and new towels (courtesy of Karla - Thanks!!)

August 12th - Kent and my two older boys had drum camp (Kent is one of the instuctors, Jake is playing one of the bass drums this year, Josh is playing a zylophone and cymbal and tambourine, and my sister is playing zylophone with four mallets - she's only one year older than Jake)

August 14-16th - I ended up with another fever, had my 5th and final blood transfussion and was in the ER on that saturday. My lungs were hurting as well.

August 18-22nd - I was admitted to the hospital for three days(fever and lungs) and found out that I had pnuemonia (a yucky kind that only people with lower immune systems get - ie: blood cancers and AIDs patients) I missed going to Phantom of the Opera with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law... :(
Kent and the boys had band camp this week, so they were at least having fun, besides being tired!

August 26-28th - We actually went camping, our last hoorah before school started. We had a great time! My dad rented a boat one day and a jet ski the second day, so the kids had a blast being pulled around in tubes.

August 29th - Jake threw a suprise B-day party for one of his friends. We had 8 boys (including our two) sleeping over in our living room. It was a houseful!

August 30th - My NED party. Thanks to everyone that came and those that couldn't, thanks for all your support through all of this!

Sept 2nd and 3rd - Jake and Josh started school. Can't believe that they are both in high school now! (I forgot, I am actually doing all the costumes and flags for the colorguard - they perform field shows with the band - nothing like jumping right back into things!)
Ethan had an eye appointment and needs glasses (we haven't been able to get him to keep them on)

Sept 8th - Had my "perfect" PET scan!

Sept 10th - Ethan started preschool! I am doing a co-op with 4 other moms and we trade off teaching. It's a lot of fun and Ethan had a really great time! Plus the price is right (only ends up being less than $4 a class).

Sept 13th - Boys and my sister had their first performance (just for the parents and families) to show what they have been working on for the fall show. I spent a lot of time chasing Ethan around! He is a very busy boy! I had also been sewing flags for 3 days so the colorguard could have their first set of flags to work with (thanks mom for your help!)

I think that's it for us! Busy as ever!



Ethan and his cousin (his face is classic!)


Josh and my sissy!

Jake brought his friend on the campout

3 comments:

Mom to the Fourth Power said...

Great update! How could you begin to count all the candles on that cake? I hope the fire dept. was close by... =) Good times!

mom2girls said...

Hi Monica..it's Colleen (Taylor) Lisa had told me about your blog & I've finally found it! I'm glad to hear that you're doing better and have been thinking about you since I saw Lisa in June! Anyway..hang in there, you're in my prayers..-Colleen

The Barlows said...

You are such an incredible person! You have been through so much in the last few months, and you have done your best to smile, even when you were in pain! I love you and it was so fun for me to read about all the great things happening in your family! I can't wait to see you all!